This recipe is ‘accidently vegan’. The lady that I (indirectly) got it from, has an egg allergy. I have no idea where she got the recipe from but I had been sitting on it for about 5 months before I finally tried it out for my boyfriend. I was still an ‘omni’ at the time but was happy to give this a trial (it’s cake, who would turn down cake?!).
The ‘butter’ icing was something I’d heard bandied around the Facebook Veganuary page. Measurements were trial and error so PLEASE let me know if you have a problem with consistency.
Who knew that avocado could taste so good?!
- 375g/2½ cups plain flour/all-purpose flour
- 300g/1½ cups white sugar (caster or granulated)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp bicarb of soda/baking soda
- 45g/3 Tblsp. cocoa powder
- 180ml vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. vinegar (any will do)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 500ml/1 pint cold water
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt, bicarb/baking soda together. Stir to give an even mix
- Make a well in the centre. Pour in the oil, the vanilla extract and the water. Whisk well
- Add the vinegar and whisk.
- Pour into a 20x30cm tin
- Bake at 180°C/350°F for 30-40 minutes
- Allow to cool before icing
AVOCADO ‘BUTTER’ ICING
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 250g/2 cups icing sugar
- 30g/4 tbsps cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mash the avocados until smooth
- Add sieved icing sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract to the mashed avocado. Mix well until completely blended together
- Ice the cake and enjoy. If you can wait that long, eat the next day.